The Flour Bluff Sports Information Program, is a student-led, multi-platform sports media outlet that covers all aspects of Flour Bluff Athletics. Many of their Sports Information students are interested in pursuing careers specific to sports media while others are interested in career paths in which they will utilize the varied media and production skills learned throughout the course. The hands-on, real world experience and skill sets that these students are gaining in the Flour Bluff Sports Information Program will help ensure long-term success in whatever career and education paths they choose.
- Students design, build, and maintain the Flour Bluff Athletics Website, which has scores and schedules for all Flour Bluff Sports, articles highlighting Flour Bluff athletes and sports around the district, ticket purchasing information for sporting events, among other pertinent information related to the sports programming.
- Students organize, produce, and perform a radio broadcast for each of the Varsity Football games. The radio broadcast is live on the air on AM and FM radio, as well as live online streaming broadcast. The games air on Sports Radio Corpus Christi 12:30 AM, 95.1 FM, and live on the Tune-In App.
- Students film and live stream the football games. This includes producing the video (filming and developing graphics) and providing commentary for the game.
- Students attend practices and various sporting events to interview players and coaches, write up interviews and stories and take photos, which are then posted to the Athletics site and Social Media.
- The Sports Information Students contribute to the Social Media presence of Flour Bluff Athletics and the school district via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram with action shots and film clips of the athletes, game updates, stats, and interviews.
- Students also live stream and record major events in Flour Bluff Athletics, such as National Signing Day and playoff games.
- As a way of maximizing the community and larger public’s access to our Sports during the Covid pandemic, the students have live streamed numerous Flour Bluff Athletic events, including playoff games and meets in football, basketball, soccer, softball, swimming, and volleyball.
- Flour Bluff ISD is very excited to announce that through a newly developed partnership with the Corpus Christi Hooks, select Sports Information students are being given the opportunity to intern and work as paid official scorers of the team.
- The students write, produce, and record multiple commercials that promote Flour Bluff Athletics and Flour Bluff ISD that air weekly on Sports Radio 1230 in Corpus Christi.
- The students also produce, record, and present the Morning Video Announcements for the high school daily.
- Students also record and produce videos for the High School (i.e. principal messages and Hello Freshmen programming).
- Sports Information students have also been hired and paid to work sporting events from private companies.
- Students also run a weekly column on the website to honor a Hornet Athlete of the Week.
Flour Bluff’s goal is to provide students with numerous opportunities centered around the promotion of Flour Bluff ISD’s Athletics that enable them to learn, develop, and put into real life practice skills sets that will contribute to their overall future success.
Check out the initiative here: https://athletics.flourbluffschools.net/